- What is POPIA
- Can I access my Personal Information?
- What if my Personal Information is incorrect?
- Can I delete my Personal Information?
What is POPIA
POPIA means the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (POPIA) which is Law that aim to give effect to people and companies (data subject) the constitutional right to privacy. Personal Information is any information that can identify you or be used to identify you. .
POPIA requires that any entity that process your personal information, must comply with 8 Conditions for Lawful Processing, which include:
Condition 1 Accountability
Condition 2 Processing Limitation
Condition 3 Purpose specification
Condition 4 Further processing limitation
Condition 5 Information quality
Condition 6 Openness
Condition 7 Security safeguards
Condition 8 Data subject participation
Accessing my Personal Information
You have the right, once we confirmed your identity, to require XDS to confirm if the XDS hold personal information on you and if does then to be able to provide the Personal Information to you.
You may request, free of any charge, for XDS to confirm if XDS has personal information on you.
a) This request can be made by calling XDS on 0860 937 000 or emailing email@example.com and using the subject : "Data subject access request "or you can register on the XDS Direct to Consumer service “Splendi” at to access your credit report which contains your personal information. In this way the consumer can have unlimited access to the credit report as soon as they have successfully registered.
b) If after accessing your credit report you require XDS to provide you with access to any other Personal Information XDS has retained, You will need to complete the XDS Data Subject Access Request form – FORM 1. This request may take up to 20 business days to complete and may be subject to a fee that you will be advised of when XDS receives your request.
Correcting my Personal Information
You have the right, once we confirm your identity, to require XDS, free of any charge, to correct the accuracy of your Personal Information as held by XDS. You may correct the accuracy of your personal information by following one of the following channels.
• You may lodge a dispute using XDS Direct to Consumer service by completing the Online Dispute Form.
• You may also lodge a dispute by completing an XDS Dispute Form – and emailing your completed dispute form to firstname.lastname@example.org, alternatively, you may email XDS email@example.com or call XDS Disputes Department on 0860937 000, so that XDS Disputes Department can send you a Dispute form to complete.
• Resolving your dispute may take up to 20 business days to resolve.
Deleting my Personal Information
You have the right, once we confirmed your identity, to require XDS, free of any charge to delete any personal information if XDS is no longer authorized to retain such information.
• You may request the deletion by completing the “REQUEST FOR DELETION of PERSONAL INFORMATION” section of the XDS Dispute Form – FORM 2 and emailing your completed dispute form to firstname.lastname@example.org, alternatively, you may email XDS email@example.com or call XDS Disputes Department on 0860 937 000, so that XDS Disputes Department can send you a Dispute form to complete.
• Your request for deletion of Personal Information will be considered by the Information Officer in terms of any lawful reason that XDS may be required to retain such information. The XDS Information Officer will inform you of the outcome of such consideration.